Professional Communication Certificate (OCE Only)*
The program is offered only through Online and Continuing Education (OCE).
Hone your professional writing skills, learn to negotiate conflict, and develop sensitivity to intercultural communication scenarios. You will also gain experience communicating for a variety of situations: grant writing and proposals, social media and web, and other workplace contexts.
*This program is not currently accepting new students.
|ENGL 271||PROFESSIONAL EDITING||3|
|ENGL 474||CAPSTONE IN PROFESSIONAL COMMUNICATION||3|
|COMM 230||INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION: GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES||3|
|COMM 257||COMMUNICATION THEORY||3|
|Six additional COMM or ENGL elective credits 1||6|
Six additional COMM or ENGL elective credits are necessary to reach the 18 credits required for this certificate. These six credits must be approved by the Department Chair.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate the ability to write, edit, and revise proficiently.
- Explain the traditional and contemporary theoretical underpinnings of human communication as symbolic activity.
- Explain the theory and practice of human communication in a multicultural world both in terms of interpersonal interaction as well as larger scale contact between cultures.
- Write effectively for social media, specifically blogs, Twitter and Facebook.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the persuasive, rhetorical nature of proposal and grant writing.