Public Health: Health Promotion Major
This major is available as a bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree, as defined in the section on degree requirements for all majors in this catalog.
47-53 required credits plus another 9 prerequisite credits for a total of 56-62 credits required for the major. Students must hold current Adult CPR/AED certification by graduation. A grade of C- or better is required in all Public Health: Health Promotion classes and prerequisites.
|MATH 140||INTRODUCTION TO STATISTICS||3|
|HHPA 112||INTRODUCTION TO HUMAN BIOLOGY||4|
|or BIOL 212|
& BIOL 213
| HUMAN ANATOMY|
and HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY
|HSCI 098||MEDICAL AND HEALTH TERMINOLOGY||2|
|HHPA 183||SEMINAR IN HEALTH AND HUMAN MOVEMENT||1|
|HHPA 250||PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF DISEASE||3|
|HHPA 297||INTRODUCTION TO RESEARCH IN PHYSICAL ACTIVITY||3|
|HHPA 350||PSYCHOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF SPORT AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY||3|
|Public Health Core|
|HSCI 250||INTRO TO PUBLIC & COMMUNITY HEALTH||3|
|HSCI 440||EPIDEMIOLOGY (ALSO LISTED AS ENVS 440)||3|
|HSCI 450||ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH (ALSO LISTED AS ENVS 450)||3|
|HSCI 330||GLOBAL HEALTH||3-4|
|or SOAN 232||MEDICINE AND CULTURE|
|HHPA 422||PLANNING & EVALUATION IN HEALTH EDUCATION||3|
|HHPA 491||SENIOR CAPSTONE IN PUBLIC HEALTH||4|
|Health Promotion Electives|
|Select 6-8 credits of the following (one course must be 300 level or higher):||6-8|
|INTRODUCTION TO MICROBIOLOGY|
|DRUG USE IN THE UNITED STATES|
|FOOD SCIENCE (ALSO LISTED AS CHEM 301)|
|INTERNSHIP (3 credits)|
|TRAUMA INFORMED CARE|
|Social Science and Humanities Electives|
|Select 6-8 credits of the following:||6-8|
|GENDER AND SOCIETY (ALSO LISTED AS SOAN 205)|
|GENDER ISSUES IN EDUCATION & SPORT|
|HEALTH & SOCIAL POLICY|
|HEALTH CARE IN AMERICA|
|AGGRESSION AND CHILDREN|
|INTRODUCTION TO ABNORMAL PSYCHOLOGY|
|PSYCHOLOGY OF WOMEN AND GENDER|
|APPROACHES TO RELIGION|
|DEATH & DYING|
|CULTURAL ENVIRONMENT OF HEALTH|
|RACE & ETHNICITY|
|Select 3-4 credits of the following:||3-4|
|INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION: GLOBAL PERSPECTIVES|
|MULTICULTURAL COMMUNICATION IN THE UNITED STATES|
|PRINCIPLES OF PUBLIC RELATIONS|
Other elective courses may be pre-approved by advisor and department.
Students must hold current Adult CPR/AED certification by graduation. A grade of C- or better is required in all Public Health: Health Promotion classes and prerequisites.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students completing a major in Public Health: Health promotion will be able to:
- Assess individual and community needs, assets and capacity for health promotion and education
- Collaborate with other professionals, staff, communities and consumers in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of health promotion and education programs.
- Conduct research and apply findings into practice settings.
- Administer and manage public health programs.
- Examine health disparities and design programs in health promotion after considering population characteristics.
- Examine public health through various lenses including environmental, local, national, and global.
- Communicate and advocate for health promotion and education.
- Encourage and promote public health within the framework of legal, ethical, moral and professional standards.
- Provide leadership within the public health profession.
- Successfully participate in the professional certification examination process (optional).
Oregon Preliminary Teaching Licensure in Health Education or Physical Education
A student majoring in Public Health: Health Promotion or Human Performance – Physical Education must also complete a Secondary Education major with Licensure. In order to complete the Secondary Education major with Licensure, students should begin taking education courses no later than their sophomore year. The student must be advised by faculty in both majors.