Japanese Language and Culture Major
The majors in French, Japanese and Spanish Language and Culture offer students opportunities to effectively develop cultural and linguistic abilities to function productively in the global, 21st century world in an array of fields where language and intercultural competencies are critical.
All department minors must take an appropriate 300 level class upon return to complete requirements. 20-22 credits are generally required for minors.
Japanese Language and Culture Track
The major and minor in Japanese Language and Culture focuses on developing proficiency in Japanese and the ability to communicate in a culturally appropriate fashion in various disciplines and social situations. The major requires a high level of language proficiency: generally three years of Japanese, or equivalent level of proficiency (ACTFL Intermediate High). Therefore, a year of study at a Linfield approved program in either Tokyo or Kyoto, typically during the third year, is necessary to complete the major unless student has significant prior experience with the language. Language experience is assessed through placement exam and Oral Proficiency Interview. Early planning is key to completing this major. Please consult with Japanese faculty early in the process, before choosing a study abroad site.
This major is available as a bachelor of arts degree only, as defined in the section on degree requirements for all majors in this catalog.
|GLCS 210||LANGUAGE AND CULTURE IN GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE (before going abroad)||4|
|GLCS 280||CROSS-CULTURAL & LINGUISTIC SKILLS FOR STUDY ABROAD (before going abroad)||2|
|GLCS 380||ABROAD PORTFOLIO (while abroad)||2|
|GLCS 483||ADVANCED CROSS-CULTURAL SEMINAR (during the senior year)||5|
|Select a minimum of 8 credits of the following (according to placement):||8|
|INTERMEDIATE JAPANESE II|
|JAPANESE COMPOSITION AND CONVERSATION I|
|INTERMEDIATE JAPANESE CONVERSATION II|
|Study Abroad and Cultural Studies Courses|
|Select 20 credits||20|
Courses in which a student has earned a grade less than C may not be applied toward a major or minor in the department. Study abroad programs may have specific GPA requirements.*
- Study abroad for one year in a Linfield approved program in Japan is normally required.
- Up to 20 credits (in addition to ABROAD PORTFOLIO (GLCS 380)) from study abroad may be applied toward the major.
- Courses taken abroad must be related to Japanese literature, culture, and language, and chosen in consultation with Linfield advisor and approved by the Department Chair
- One cultural study course on campus: JAPANESE CULTURE TODAY (GLJP 240) or other appropriate course. Highly recommended.
- Other appropriate GLCS courses, (as approved by the Department Chair).
By departmental invitation, students may write a senior thesis: SENIOR THESIS (GLCS 490) (2 credits).
Because students take courses in the host language, they should complete course work up to the 202 level before undertaking foreign study. Students must consult with the Japanese faculty early in the process, before choosing a study abroad site.
*This policy is not new, but text was added Dec. 2022
Student Learning Outcomes
- Communicate effectively in the target language of study on a variety of topics related to interpersonal, interpretive, and presentational modes, both in academic and professional contexts and in a culturally appropriate fashion.
- Critically analyze through cultural products such as film, literature and other media, cultural practices and historical contexts that have shaped the target culture.
- Develop an understanding of and respect for diverse values and perspectives as portrayed in the communities of the target culture.
- Engage in civic learning to gain insights into global and local citizenry.
- Reflect upon personal experiences in the target culture to transfer learning to new, complex situations.