Creative Writing Certificate (OCE Only)
The program is offered only through Online and Continuing Education (OCE).
The certificate in creative writing offers students in all disciplines the opportunity to advance their communication and critical thinking skills, qualities employers seek, through the analysis and writing of fiction, poetry, literary nonfiction, and scripts.
|ENGL 200||INTRO TO CREATIVE WRITING||4|
|ENGL 395||DIRECTED READING||1|
|Select three of the following:||12|
|INTERMEDIATE CREATIVE WRITING: POETRY|
|INTERMEDIATE CREATIVE WRITING: FICTION|
|INTERMEDIATE CREATIVE WRITING: SCRIPTS|
|INTERMEDIATE CREATIVE WRITING: LITERARY NONFICTION|
|ADVANCED TOPICS IN CREATIVE WRITING WORKSHOP|
|CREATIVE WRITING: THESIS|
|Select one of the following literature courses:||3-4|
|POETRY, PROSE, AND PLAYS|
|WESTERN AMERICAN LITERATURE|
|WOMEN WRITERS (ALSO LISTED AS GENS 300)|
|LITERATURE AND LANDSCAPE|
|DIVERSE VOICES IN LITERARY EXPRESSION|
|THE NOVEL IN THE UNITED STATES|
Student Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate stronger communication and critical thinking skills through analysis and writing of fiction, poetry, literary nonfiction, and scripts.
- Explain major traditions / genres, such as women’s literature, postcolonial literature, world literature, or Native American literature.
- Demonstrate an understanding of texts in the appropriate cultural and historical contexts.
- Demonstrate coherent writing in multiple genres (literary analysis and creative writing) as well as an awareness of critical and interpretive methods.
- Analyze literature using appropriate terminology and common rhetorical figures.
- Perform competent close readings of texts.